What do the Friends of the Vigo County Public Library do?
Membership dues, income from monthly book sales, and sales in the Friends’ Little Book Shop enable the Friends to fund Library programs and services that go beyond the Library’s budget. During 2018-2019 the Friends have provided funding for the following:
- After-School Programming
- Books for Babies
- First Grade Library Tours
- MakerCamp Programming
- Safe Sitter Course
- Summer Reading Program for Youth
- Teen Programming
- Adult Programming
- Adult Summer Reading Programming
- Adult Recreation Programs
- Armchair Travels
- Big Read 2019
- English as a Second Language Programming
- Partnership with Habitat for Humanity
- Writing Club
- Family Gaming Events & Giant Yard Games
- Family Learning Day
- Family Literacy
- First Friday Activities
- Library Movies (Watch This!)
- Never Too Late to Learn
- Trick-or-Treat @ the Library
- 2019 Summer Reading Program: A Universe of Stories
How can I help the Friends of the Library?
- Work at weekend, annual, and holiday book sales;
- Price and sort books;
- Assist with special projects and events;
- Serve on the Friends’ board and/or other committees;
- Serve as a guest host or greeter for special occassions;
- Provide a voice in the community for the Library needs, and represent the interests of Library users to elected officials and legislators.
Not a member but still want to help? You can:
- Donate books and other items to the Friends’ (and encourage your friends and family to do the same);
- Make a monetary donation to the Friends;
- Purchase gently used items from the Friends’ book sales and the Friends’ Little Book Shop located in Community Connections at the Main Library;
- Purchase a Friends of the Library tote bag;
- Shop with AmazonSmile.
How do I donate items to the Friends of the Library?
Donating to the Friends of the Library is easy. Just box or bag items that you wish to donate and take them to any kiosk at one of the VCPL locations. Be sure to tell library staff that the items are donations for the Friends of the Library. Your donations will be sorted and priced by the Friends’ Volunteers for their book sales.
What items do the Friends of the Library accept for donation?
The Friends of the Library accepts the following items for donation:
- Current books;
- Current magazines;
- Puzzles and games;
- Video and audio materials;
- Current computer software;
- Comic books;
- Out of Print and old/rare/unusual books.
Please do not donate: dirty, moldy or damaged materials; items marked Gallery Proof, not for sale, or advanced reading copy; textbooks or encyclopedia sets that are more than five years old.
Are my donations tax-deductible?
Yes, they are. When making your donation, please request a Material Donation Receipt form for tax purposes.
When is the next book sale?
Friends’ book sales are normally held the first weekend of every month. Follow the Friends on Facebook for updates on upcoming sales. If you can’t wait until the next sale, try the Friends’ Little Book Shop located in Community Connections at the Main Library.