What do the Friends of the Vigo County Public Library do?
Membership dues, income from monthly book sales, and sales in the Friends’ Little Book Shop enable the Friends to fund Library programs and services that go beyond the Library’s budget. During 2014-2015 the Friends have provided funding for the following:
- Summer Reading Program for Youth
- After-School Programming
- Teen Programming
- Sensory Storytimes
- Books for Babies
- First Grade Library Tours
- Creepy Critters
- Adult Programming
- Wabash Valley Community Read
- English as a Second Language Programming
- Adult Summer Reading Programming
- Adult Crafting Classes
- Adult Winter Reading Programming
- Anime Club
- Writing Club
- Real Live Reindeer
- Family Learning Day
- Trick-or-Treat @ the Library
- Library Movies (Watch This!)
- Chess Club
- Family Gaming Events
- Family Literacy
How can I help the Friends of the Library?
- Work at weekend, annual, and holiday book sales;
- Price and sort books;
- Assist with special projects and events;
- Serve on the Friends’ board and/or other committees;
- Serve as a guest host or greeter for special occassions;
- Provide a voice in the community for the Library needs, and represent the interests of Library users to elected officials and legislators.
Not a member but still want to help? You can:
- Donate books and other items to the Friends’ (and encourage your friends and family to do the same);
- Make a monetary donation to the Friends;
- Purchase gently used items from the Friends’ book sales and the Freinds’ Little Book Shop located in Community Connections at the Main Library;
- Purchase a Friends of the Library tote bag;
- Shop with AmazonSmile.
How do I donate items to the Friends of the Library?
Donating to the Friends of the Library is easy. Just box or bag items that you wish to donate and take them to front desk at one of the VCPL locations. Be sure to tell library staff that the items are donations for the Friends of the Library! Your donations will be sorted and priced by the Friends’ Volunteers for their book sales.
What items do the Friends of the Library accept for donation?
The Friends of the Library accepts the following items for donation:
- Current books;
- Current magazines;
- Puzzles and games;
- Video and audio materials;
- Current computer software;
- Comic books;
- Out of Print and old/rare/unusual books.
Please do not donate: dirty, moldy or badly damaged materials; items marked Gallery Proof, not for sale, or advanced reading copy; textbooks or encyclopedia sets that are more than five years old.
Are my donations tax-deductible?
Yes, they are. When making your donation, please request a letter for tax purposes.
When is the next book sale?
Friends’ book sales are normally held the first weekend of every month. Dates are available on the Friends’ calendar or you can follow the Friends on Facebook for updates on upcoming sales. If you can’t wait until the next sale, try the Friends’ Little Book Shop located in Community Connections at the Main Library.